The weather forecast
First the good news. BBC Weather is predicting sunshine all day. The bad news is it goes with temperatures of about 3 degrees!
This is fine for sketching so long as you dress appropriately!
- It's ESSENTIAL you dress with layers, wear your thermals and a warm hat! My fingerless gloves with mitten tops will also be coming out with me tomorrow.
- you have insulation between your rear and a very cold fixed seat outdoors. I also recommend carrying least a paper to sit on or seating pad! Thick trousers also help. Otherwise you must stand or need a stool.
I trecked round Canary Wharf on Wednesday to check out all the venues in detail - and took lots of photos so I can describe them to you. Plus I have maps for a few people!
If you have never been before the layout is VERY CONFUSING - but well signposted.
This is the Google Map of venues detailed below
I do recommend you grab one of the map guides as soon as you arrive. They're very easy to find in the shopping malls. I've already picked up some which I will bring with me but it won't be enough for everybody.
Please remember the whole of Canary Wharf is PRIVATE PROPERTY. The rules for what we can and cannot do may be different from the public domain (which this is not). However I've never had problems taking photos.
Start Venue - 11:00am at Canary Wharf DLR Ticket Concourse (Cabot Place)
We'll meet next to the clock inbetween the UP escalators to the platforms 4 & 5 at Canary Wharf DLR Station (ie NOT the Jubilee Line). It's on the same level as the Oyster Card readers and one floor below the level of the platforms. So if you're arriving via this route you need to come down the escalators and walk across to the up escalators side. There's lots of room in the vicinity for a large group to congregate and not block people getting around.
This is what the clock looks like - next to the escalator and stairs UP to platforms 4 and 5.
|The DLR Station Clock on the ticket concourse below the platform level|
and between the escalators going up to the platforms
You can go back up the stairs (no need to use your Oyster card if you are not travelling) and sketch the amazing architecture of the DLR station from the platforms (see below)
Or you can walk out the doors to the right of this pic and visit the Sky Garden at Crossrail Place (see below)
Lunchtime - 1:00pm at Jubilee Place Shopping Mall
|This is the below ground level of the Jubilee Place Shopping Mall|
- lots of places to get food, hot soup and hot drinks
- and it's VERY WARM!
- It's LOVELY AND WARM! I recommend this as a place to stay close to if you need to go and warm up periodically for 10 minutes or so during the day!
- It has lots of places where people can get food and hot drinks e.g. M&S; Starbucks, Costa Coffee etc. We'll also be meeting up here afterwards (more below)
|Entrance to the Jubilee Place Shopping Mall - and warmth and food|
FINISH - 3:30pm Canary Wharf Underground Station (West Entrance)
I'm CHANGING THE FINISH VENUE to the Jubilee Line TfL Station between Jubilee Place and Middle Dock - for those going home on the tube. Beware there are three entrances and there are two photographic clues to which is the right one below
Again we have lots of space to congregate near the station and lots to sketch for those who get there early!
|Jubilee Line Underground Station (West Entrance)|
- between Jubilee Place Park and Middle Dock (and close to the DLR station)
|If you look left while facing the underground entrance and can see these clocks you are at the right entrance!|
Walk past these clocks, through the doors and turn left to get back to the DLR Station
AFTERWARDS - 4:pm Crush Fit Food
So we'll walk from the station back into the park and down the escalators to where we met and lunch and this time we'll go to Crussh Fit Food and Juice Bar Unit 21 Jubilee Place. I had a good look round for a suitable place to meet up afterwards. This was the only place that didn't have lots of teeny tables.
This is what it looks like - you can also see it the centre of the previous view of the Jubilee Place shopping Mall - below ground view.
It also does hot soups and coffees and teas!
|Crussh in Jubilee Place|
Places to Sketch
Canary Wharf DLRUse the up escalators from where we meet to get to the platforms
I've checked and there's nothing to stop people going up to the platforms to sketch - you don't need to use your Oyster card. I do recommend you stay well out of the way of people who are travelling. There's a good amount of space at either end of the platforms which don't get busy.
|DLR platforms and concave roof - plus note the fixed seats|
|The view from the other end of the platform|
Crossrail Place Sky GardenTo get to the Sky Garden:
- face the clock on the ticket concourse at the DLR station and then turn right and walk through the doors and down to the street
- Turn right and walk up to Crossrail Place - the long covered bridge to Crossrail Place (marked as Adams Plaze Bridge on the map). Walk down the bridge past the photography exhibition of wildlife at Canary Wharf.
|the entrance to Crossrail Place - the bridge which leads to the Sky Garden.|
There are great views of the architecture from this level
Inside Crossrail Place
- turn right and go up the up escalator
- at the top you come out at the side of a bar/restaurant. Walk straight ahead and you'll come to this view of the Sky Garden.
- The roof is partially open and partially closed and you're protected from stiff breezes. There are lots of seats to sit on around the garden - and there are toilets!
|You can sit under one end of the Sky Garden and sketch the geometry and the tree ferns!|
|The view from the Big Easy - across West India Quay DLR Station|
Winter LightsThe Winter Lights are not going to be on until 4pm. I didn't see much evidence of them and some were still being put up. The best place to see them is Jubilee Place Park and Montgomery Square.
|Winter Lights Jubilee Place|
Ice skating rink - Canada Place Park
You can stand around the ice rink and see through perspex windows around the larger part of the rink. There are also limited places to get alongside the rink. Those wanting to stay indoors to sketch skaters might like to investigate the Wahacca Bar at Canary Wharf (in the background of this photo). I didn't go inside so I don't know if it works as a venue but it seems to be the only place which provides a top down perspective
|The ice rink is built up above the ground - viewing is through windows around the rink|
The big dig in West India Dock
You can see this from Montgomery Square. It's now much bigger than when I last saw it in November.
|The Big Dig in the Dock - lots of cranes|